Fig, Proscuitto & Blue Cheese Pizza
Total time: 1 hour
Note: Flatbreads are available at Trader Joe's and Middle Eastern markets.
1 pound fresh Black Mission figs (about 20 small)
1/2 cup port wine
1/4cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons minced shallots
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 ounces (6 slices) prosciutto
6 (6-inch) flatbreads
4 ounces (1 cup) mild blue cheese, crumbled
1. Remove the stems from the figs, then cut the figs into quarters. Place in a 9-by-12-inch glass baking dish. Combine the port wine, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, rosemary, shallots and salt. Pour over the figs and roast in a 375-degree for 30 minutes, stirring several times. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
2. Cut the prosciutto horizontally into half-inch strips.
3. Place the flatbreads on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn the flatbreads over.
4. Place the fig mixture in a food processor and pulse 4 or 5 times to break up the figs. The mixture will resemble a thick marmalade.
5. Spread about one-fourth cup fig mixture on each flatbread to within half an inch of the edge. Sprinkle the blue cheese on top of the jam, evenly dividing it between the 6 pizzas, then drape the prosciutto slices on top .
6. Bake until the cheese has melted and the flatbread is crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.