This molasses cookie recipe has been in my family for generations. It's not Christmas without these being made...even if it is the day after Christmas.
When my cousin was stationed in Afghanistan we would pack up a care package with unfrosted cookies in them and a note saying "Share". (haha)
The one (unique) thing about these cookies is it uses BACON GREASE as the shortening. I know it sounds strange but trust me.
1 C Sugar
|You can see it's a well loved recipe.|
1 C Bacon grease, melted
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 C molasses
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 C hot coffee
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 C flour
Preheat oven to 350*
1. Cream together sugar, grease/shortening and eggs
2. In separate bowl combine molasses and baking soda, set aside until it doubles in size. Once doubled add sugar/shortening mix into molasses.
3. Add cinnamon, cloves and ginger into flour
4. Mix vanilla into hot coffee.
5. Alternate mixing flour mix and hot coffee into molasses mixture (ending on flour mix: flour, coffee, flour, coffee, flour)
6. Drop large spoonfuls onto cold/room temperature cookie sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes.
Let cool. Eat with Royal Icing or unfrosted.