15 Day Challenge: Fun Facts
The last time I did a "daily challenge" it was for practically the whole month and I got bored with it way before it was over. I ended up writing the entries in advance (a week at a time) and then just scheduling them ahead of time.
This one though (that I found on Joslin as Mrs. Williams' page) is only a 15 day challenge.
I think I can manage that. And there's nothing saying it has to be 15 days in a row! Haha.
So here's the challenges
Since this isn't a specific "July 1-15" challenge I'm going to go ahead and be a little off track.
Today is my Day 1: 15 fun facts about myself
1. I've never been outside of the country. I don't know if that counts as a "fun" fact but it's a fact. Most people are surprised when I say this - I think mostly because I grew up in San Diego, so most people assume I've been to Mexico. But I haven't. Maybe someday I'll save up enough to travel somewhere to change this "fact" into a "fun fact".
2. Along the traveling route the top three places I want to travel in my life time are: New Orleans, a tropical paradise (could be Hawaii, the Caribbean, or Puerto Vallarta ...doesn't matter) and Southeast Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia specifically).
3. How many siblings do I have isn't as easy of an answer as most people would think. I have 1 biological sister, 1 cousin who is like a sister and is exactly 1/2 way between my age and my biological sister, I have 1 "sister" who is really a friend from high school that was "adopted" (not legally) by my family years ago. I have 1 step-sister that I haven't seen or spoken to in 15+ years, I have a friend from elementary school that I call my "brother"...so really I'm never really sure how to answer the question.
4. When people ask what my degree is in usually I say "Diversity Studies" only because it's easier than the real thing... which is "Unity in Diversity: Historical and Cultural Studies of Spirituality". Yup!
5. At last count I had over 40+ cousins - if you include spouses (some of which have been in the family longer than I've been alive) and children of cousins. However, if you just want to count my "first cousins" I have (no spouses, kids, etc) nineteen first cousins. Twelve on my mother's side and seven on my fathers.
6. I have an obsession with the macabre. Halloween is my favorite time of the year, I love to visit and photograph cemeteries, believe in ghosts, etc.
7. HOWEVER, I do not like "scary movies"... you'll never get me to a gross bloody ax-murder movies and the only time I'll see a psychological thriller is if it's early in the morning and we're going to spend the rest of the day watching Disney movies... even then I might still need you to sleep with me that night.
8. I love the pin-up look and have for a long time. I've slowly been trying to figure out the best way to incorporate it into my own personal look. I love the cat eyes, the red lips, the hairstyles....I just wish that I could find more plus-size clothing pieces (work appropriate) that were in that style. If you have recommended websites please let me know.
9. I am artistic. But I do not consider myself an "artist". I guess while I enjoy art, try to do it as often as possible (although I haven't painted in way too long) I don't find the label of "artist" appropriate. I don't live and breathe art. I don't try to make a living off it. And I don't consider myself good enough to qualify as an artist. (Although I have been scolded by many and told otherwise).
10. Seafood. As a child I remember hating it - well more specifically fish. I don't necessarily remember hating crustaceans but I also don't remember eating them often. I do however remember when my father worked at a tilapia fish farm and we'd have tilapia multiple times a week for dinner. It got to the point that I wouldn't look, touch or even try fish of any kind. Then I went to college and was introduced to sushi. Thank god! Now I can't get enough of that shit.
11. Seven months ago I discovered three white hairs in my bangs...my first (unless you count the one white eyebrow hair). I let them be until the other day when one of them just wouldn't lay down with the rest of my hair and insisted on standing straight up. It got plucked.
12. I can cook most things. Show me any recipe and I can make it. Mention a meal you once ate and haven't been able to find since - I'll recreate it. I'm not being cocky I was just born with the ability to cook.
13. I'm not the best at it but I love to dance. There's just something so relaxing and stress relieving to move your body to the sound of a rhythmic beat and dance til you're a sweaty mess.
14. I have two nieces and two nephews (see #3). My (almost) four year old niece lives here in the PNW and it's great finally getting to see her grow and be a part of her life - before last November I hadn't seen her since she was only about a year old. I have one nephew here in Portland - or at least will be an official "nephew" once the adoption is finalized for my sister (he's been my foster-nephew for a few years though). My other niece (6months) and my nephew (3 years) are my best friend's children (best friends of 20+ years). She lives in San Diego though so I don't see them nearly often enough (only have met my nephew once and never met my niece).
15. For my last factoid I'm going to tell you all this took me over a week. Yes, last week I was in St. Louis (pictures to come) but I'm also too long winded to write a short quick 15 facts. But I'm done. So there you go.