One of my favorite candy bars is Almond Joy - the creamy chocolate, crunchy almond and the chewy coconut... so delicious. And my mother has memories of growing up with giant 2-person macaroons from Canter's Deli in Los Angels. So why not combine the two?
Almond Joy Macaroons
1 egg white
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
2/3 C. sweetened condensed milk
3 1/2 C sweetened coconut flakes
3/4 C slivered almonds
1 C dark chocolate chips
12 (or so) almonds; roasted
Preheat oven to 325 F.
and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
1. In a large bowl, stir together the egg white, vanilla, salt and sweetened condensed milk.
2. Mix in the coconut and slivered almonds until well combined.
3. Using large spoon (or ice cream scoop for larger cookies) drop the dough onto the baking sheets (they do not spread very much so you can put them closer together)
4. Bake until the cookies are light golden brown, 15 - 20 minutes.
5. While cookies are cooling, melt dark chocolate over double boiler
6. Dip cooled cookies into melted chocolate and top with almond!
The best thing is these cookies are very kid-cook friendly. I made mine with my 8yo niece; she mixed, scooped and was on almond duty!
Now they really are best warm out of the oven but chocolate dipped is delicious too.