Which also means thinking of cool dinner ideas for the family (i.e. no oven or standing over the stove top) and let me tell you, you can only tell them dinner is "salad" so many times before they start to rebel.
Thank goodness for Pinterest and magazines in the doctor's office. In the same week my mother and I both found the same recipe for Cold Shrimp and Crab soup (her from a Sunset magazine from the doctor, and I on Pinterest).
As always (because I really think it's a compulsion and I can't help myself) I altered the recipe ever so slightly.
- Substituted 3 cups crushed tomatoes (because I happened to have a giant can on hand)
- Substituted shallots for green onions
- Substituted 2 (of the 5 TB) lime juice with lemon
- Sauteed the bell peppers, a shallot and garlic before adding to the puree
- Add 3 cups homemade crab stock and 2 cups water to the tomato puree to thin and stretch
- Added a TB dried basil before chilling
- Served with avocado and a choice selection of hot sauces (for individual taste)